Re: [NTLK] URGENT: DO NOT BUY THIS

From: Michael Lye (mlye_at_ids.net)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 13:41:48 PDT

On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 03:56 PM, Peter Cameron wrote:

> Andrei Chichak <acpmiedm_at_telusplanet.net> wrote:
>
>> Please don't put words in my mouth. Let's put it this way, go read
>> the copyright act.
> I think what you're actually referring to is trademark. I believe
> copyright is guaranteed protection for a certain period whereas
> trademark can be lost if you don't defend it.

A couple of short excerpts from copyright.gov here:

Copyrightable works include the following categories:
literary works... pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works; motion
pictures and other audiovisual works... architectural works. These
categories should be viewed broadly. For example, computer programs and
most "compilations" may be registered as "literary works"; maps and
architectural plans may be registered as "pictorial, graphic, and
sculptural works."

And:

A work that is created (fixed in tangible form for the first time) on
or after January 1, 1978, is automatically protected from the moment of
its creation and is ordinarily given a term enduring for the author's
life plus an additional 70 years after the author's death.

For those you interested in more details go to:
<http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wci>
and read more about copyrights from the source.

Michael

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html