Re: [NTLK] NewtTest - morse code

From: Jeff Henry (jeff_at_jeffhenry.net)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 09:25:26 PDT

In the US the first level license you do not need code anymore. To get any
higher you need to learn code. From what I understand they are considering
dropping the code requirement. Several other countrys have already dropped
the code req but I guess the states are lagging on this. I am kind of mixed
on the whole code thing part of me thinks that it should be dropped as a req
as it is simply a different mode of operation. In other words they do not
test a ham on the other modes of operation like aprs, rtty, etc. But part of
me thinks it should be kept since it has been a req for so long and so many
others have had to learn it. I am very slowly in the process of learning the
code. Supposedly all it takes is about 15 minutes a day for about a month or
so. But boy is it hard to find that 15 minutes everyday. For anyone wanting
more information on ham radio in the US visit http://www.arrl.org. If you
are studying to get a license search google for "ham radio practice tests".
There are several good sites that have practice tests to help you prepare
for the test. I know those sites helped me out. I hit them all when I was
studying to give a mix.
Jeff
Jeff Henry
Amateur Radio Operator KG4ZIE