Re: [NTLK] NewtonBook creation

From: Steve Weyer (saweyer_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sun Apr 04 2004 - 04:35:47 PDT

> Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 18:29:18 -0600
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] NewtonBook creation
> From: Woody Smith <woody_at_bitstream.net>
>
> Creating a Newton book is not difficult, but one with nice layout and
> Table of contents does take some time.
> I don't believe that there is an OS X way of creating a Newton book, I
> use Newton Press in Classic and it seems to function about as well as
> it did in OS 9.
> There is also Newton book maker, part of NTK which is also pre- OS X.
> Steve Weyer's NewtsCape can create books on the newton, you may want to
> look at that for possible leads, it uses HTML code, but not being a
> programmer I don't know if this would be useful.

since the first poster had mentioned PDF, Newt's Cape has been used
with various PDF-to-HTML (or PDF-to-text) converters, the results are
usually far from perfect but it is an option. if one hand-edited the
HTML to add <H1> , <H2> ... tags, then table of contents would happen
for free.

> From: John Charlton <johncharlton_at_mac.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] NewtonBook creation
> Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 01:38:10 -0500
>
> How well documented is the book format? Wonder if writing a Perl
> module...

it's not documented. it would be easier to create the "NTK format"
that Bookmaker does, and thus eliminate Bookmarker, but you'd still
need a way to compile a package, i.e., NTK.

Steve
weyer_at_kagi.com
http://www.kagi.com/weyer/newton/newtscape.htm