Re: [NTLK] [OT] Virus attacks on NTL.

From: Woo Lee (vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Apr 18 2004 - 01:55:01 PDT

Yup, I check for updates everyday, it's one of my tabbed browser windows.
This reminds me of a morning, it was two weeks after earthlink launched
'virus checker, please enable'. It was 10:58 am, launched mailwasher,
dialed out(yup, still on dial-up), in the progress of downloading 248
emails two had 'viruschecker has cleaned the infected attachment', but one
just before the two had gone thru and it was one that mailwasher knew
about, so I could have downloaded one infected and two 'cleaned' emails if
I hadn't 'washed' my email. Funny thing is I did download the infected
email, Norton(already updated) caught it during download. Both earthlink
and I use Norton, but earthlink was just a little late. The same beagle
strain was identified by viruschecker and norton on my laptop.
But so far after this, I've had no problems with virus alerts, but I still
wouldn't put my full trust in isp-email-checker.
>My system is configured to
>update whenever its virus database is over a day old.
>
>After all, with the propagation rate of some of the modern viruses, 2
>weeks is an awfully long time to be exposed.

!ooW %-)
Pres. of LA Newton Users Group!...over $teve's Live Body.
www.lanug.org