Re: [NTLK] Jobs: "Computers have key.

From: Woo Lee (vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Apr 18 2004 - 01:55:01 PDT

------------------
>the Newton? It may have continued to drain on company resources because no
>one wanted to buy a big, bulky device that was a cross between a laptop and
>a pda.

Careful, in 'the last days', Apple 'steved' quite a few orders(Australian
School districts, etc., etc.). Even if no hardware/software development
the Newton/eMate was filling backorders(even Steve's minimum was 1000 units
per order-even this was a 'joke by steve').
------------------
>Apple were going off in so many different directions, he had to to start
pushing Apple in one direction to save the company.

By the time Newton was 'steved', Gil A. already streamlined Apple, steve
just waited until most hardware and jobs were canceled by Gil A. then took
over(min. the 'bad guy' blame). Then cut other projects(Newton, etc.)
------------------
>What if Apple released a Newton that was the size of a Palm? How many of
>you write small enough that could fit onto a palm screen? I'd find it
>annoying to say the least!

Check newtontalk archive, Grant H. has a link to a unreleased palm-sized
Newt.
------------------
>What if Apple re-released the Newton now? Obviously with new enhancements
>such as colour, but now competing against tablet pcs. Right size this time
>(I think the tablet pcs are too big), but the market has shown that it is
not ready for a tablet pc yet.

The Newton was/is too independant of the desktop/laptop OS.
Actually tablet pc's are selling well to the professional(vertical)
markets. I've seen 'close-out' ads on the web for sub-US$1000.00 tablet
pc's. Comparable price points and media-push will help fuel the general
public sales.
------------------
>Personally, I think Apple did the right thing. As much as I love using my
>Newton and wish new ones where around, I'm glad the Mac is still around, as
>I can't stand using Windows!

The 'mac' would have advanced with or without the Newton. Besides,
Apple/Steve quitely sold ARM shares to bolster Apple's profits during those
'bad years'.
------------------
>Who knows, if Steve sold off Newton, it may have been bought by
Microsoft........

Bill Gate$ showed up at the last great Newton release party, he 'loved' the
Newton but wanted WinCE to be 'the standard', M$ even got a license to use
'paragraph', dubbed 'transcriber' in M$ terms but couldn't/wouldn't license
Rosetta. www.pencomputing.com has a great 'Newton Notes' archive and
in-depth articles and reviews about WinCE-PPC.

!ooW %-)
Pres. of LA Newton Users Group!...over $teve's Live Body.
www.lanug.org