Re: [NTLK] [OT] Market Share

From: John Ruschmeyer (jruschme_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 10:46:33 PDT

OTOH, a 5500 in that role is a decent piece of kit.

Personally, I've had the feeling for a while that Apple really had the
makings of a "digital" hub strategy back then... the problem was no cohesive
marketing and poor QC.

You had a primitive "media PC" capability on the Performas.
Digital photography with the QuickTake series.
PDA with the Newton.
Claris providing key applications.

Looked at this way, it was probably a very bold, very broad strategy for the
time. By modern standards, the biggest missing piece was probably a Newton
Media Player (QuickTime player/Picture viewer). Too bad, though, any vision
was lost in the maze of Performa designations.

<<<john>>>

P.S. Anybody know of a way to use a QuickTake 150 with any kind of modern
OS? Will the Mac s/w even run under classic? I know the Windows software is
so stuck in the Win 3.1 era that the only success I've had with it was
running on Linux under Wine!