Re: [NTLK] Newton virgin here, needing help...

From: Martin Howard (mvhoward_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 12:32:06 PDT

On Aug 26, 2004, at 12:01, Greg Mason wrote:

> 1. What's the cheapest way to get my Newton to talk to my Mac?

Probably using a WiFi card and then running AppleTalk over Ethernet
using the MN-520. However, you first need to get the packages onto the
Newton (unless it comes with NIE 2.0 and Hiroshi's driver installed --
probably not). This is the "bootstrapping" problem. It's as fun as it
sounds.

        http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/BootStrapping

Which means that you're going to have to get/build/steal a serial cable
from somewhere. Since you're running OS X on an AlBook, that means
getting a USB->serial adaptor and then a cable to the Newton. Take a
look at:

        http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/USBtoSerialAdapter

USB->serial adaptors run from about $20 to about $80 new. Sometimes
you can find them cheaper (i.e., the $80 ones for less than $80) on
eBay. In addition, you'll need a serial cable ($10 - $20) or build
your own (~$5 in parts). If you don't have the SER-001 serial port
installed, you'll also need the serial dongle to connect the serial
cable to the Newton. I don't know how much these cost, since I do have
the SER-001 board.

> 2. Where can I find the cheapest network card for my Newton?

CompUSA are currently selling the Microsoft MN-520 802.11b WiFi PC-Card
card for under $12. That's probably as cheap as they come. You'll
find PCMCIA/PC-Card Ethernet cards and WiFi cards on eBay. The Newton
doesn't take Cardbus cars and there are mixed reports as to whether
3.3v cards work or not (and do damage or not) in a Newton, so do your
homework BEFORE bidding or you'll end up with a large collection of
unused cards. Like me ;)

> 3. any recommended applications?

Take a look at:

        http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/NewtonNewbieGuide

...for some ideas and places to look for software. Personally, I'd
find it hard to live without Hiroshi's WaveLAN drivers, Dashboard, and
TimeTrax.

> 4. where would be a good place to get a better stylus for the Newton?
> the plastic ones are kind of killers to keep holding on to.

Metal styli are sold by various places, but seem to command ridiculous
prices.

> 5. How do I install apps onto my Newton? (I realize I should go to a
> FAQ for this...)

See #3.

> 6. How hard/expensive is it to get a CF card, with a PC card adapter,
> working in a Newton as extra storage?

Dunno, never tried this: I use PCMCIA flash cards (4MB and 32 MB).

M.