Re: [NTLK] A NEW WEB BROWSER FOR THE NEWTON???

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 12:37:42 PST

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 12:14:20PM -0800, paul oberman wrote:
> I have been using a Treo 600 on the internet, for about 6 months. The
> browser "Blazer" is slow as dirt. It was recommended that I use a
> browser called "webviewer" by Reqwireless.
>
> http://www.reqwireless.com/webviewer.html
>
> CNN, which used to take 3 minutes with Blazer, now loads in 15 seconds.
> This is using a 3g connection on spint. This browser loads all the
> text first and then the images. You can use the text page, while the
> images load. It makes use of a back end server, which crunches the
> pages for your device.
>
> IT KICK BUTT!!!! AND IS ONLY 43K!!!
>
> It requires a java enviroment J2ME.

Please note that that the JRE is providing MOST of the function that the
browser does as a library of functions. There is no JRE for the Newt
as more than a proof of concept basically down to the "toy" level.

> The question is..... Can that enviroment run on a newton? If so, this
> would bring web viewing up to current standards of speed and
> aesthetics.

No way in hell.

--
19. I will not have a daughter. She would be as beautiful as she was evil, but
    one look at the hero's rugged countenance and she'd betray her own father.