Re: [NTLK] More Newton goodies to clear

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 23:25:18 PST

on 07/12/04 00:19, Martin Joseph at martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2004, at 8:29 PM, Adriano wrote:
> <snip>
>> If the sellers will continue to raise the prices on used Newton
>> compatible items we will not have the chance to let community grow up
>> free from commercial thoughts
> <snip>
>
> Many of us paid BIG money for these kind of items to begin with, so I
> am not sure having everything for free or very inexpensive is actually
> good for the community. It seems to me, that people who get everything
> for free, get used to it and don't want to pay for anything...
>
> I especially see this with regard to for pay software. Quit different
> to spend 60$ on software when you spen $1000 on a MP2100, versus 60$ on
> software when the MP2100 cost $50?

Yep! I paid $999 US for my MP2100 back in 1997, 1 week after it was
introduced. With the nice bag, a spare battery, a spare adapter, the total
was $1297...

-Laurent.

fascist adj.: [common] Said of a computer system with excessive or annoying
security barriers, usage limits, or access policies. The implication is that
said policies are preventing hackers from getting interesting work done. The
variant `fascistic' seems to have been preferred at MIT, poss. by analogy
with `touristic' (see tourist or under the influence of German/Yiddish
`faschistisch').