Re: [NTLK] advice: emate 300

From: Clayton Mitchell (claytonmitchell_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Dec 26 2004 - 12:14:09 PST

On Dec 26, 2004, at 1:58 PM, Kristi Z. Dowell wrote:

> I purchased, as part of a lot, 8 newton emates. Before purchasing, I
> did some research to determine the amount of refurbishment work
> involved. It appears rebuilding the battery and screen hinges are the
> 2
> main 'repairs.'
>
> However, I have one that is definitely lightly used. The screen hinges
> aren't floppy and the battery seems to be charging (I have *one* Newton
> adaptor from long ago) if the orange light means charging. Plus, the
> white identification card in the back is still there and the mate's
> case
> is free of scratches, scuffs, and adhesive.
>
> So, I'm thinking of NOT doing, especially, the hinge repair. Does
> anyone have an estimate on a 'new' emates need for hinge repair?
>
> --
> inquiries
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

if you are planing on using it yourself you should at least lubricate
the hinges. The reason the emate needs to have the hinges repaired is
friction causes the spring to wind around the axis and eventually will
work its self free and damage the screen cable. If you lubricate the
springs they will last a lot longer. Lithium grease (the white stuff)
will stay viscus the longest but it is messy to apply. I use triflo
with teflon it will last a long time and will not be as messy as
lithium grease. Any lubricant is better than none. As all of the
emates are at least 7+ years old, the lubrication has dried up by now
and needs to be maintained.

Hope this helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Clayton Mitchell