Re: [NTLK] Bluetooth phone and Calls integration?

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1002_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 07:49:19 PST

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:25:03 -0600, Tyler Nichols wrote:
> Does anyone know of a phone / phone OS that can do this out of the
> box (forward call info over bluetooth when calls are made / taken)?

Not that I know of. Some phones support a kind of "pull" of this
information via AT commands, but quite a lot of recent smartphones
don't implement the full command set which would be useful for this.
For those phones, pushing the information might however be not too
difficult to implement.

> is
> there any possibility that something like the above "random initiated
> from the non-newton device" communications would be eventually
> supported (always discoverable?)?

Yes, I'm working on it.

> Would it be a huge drain on
> batteries to make this work through an always connected serial
> connection?

I'm planning to make this configurable, but the drain should not be too
big anyway. Maybe between 5-25mA.

> Does Calls support such external control, or would it have to be
> expanded to support this?

It would need some extension, but that might be trivial.

> Can the newton be powered up from sleep on bluetooth traffic? Or
> would the newton need to be awake at all times for it to register an
> incoming call from the phone?

Powering from sleep would be nice! But it does not look that easy to
implement. Instead it looks more feasible to let the Newton and the
phone communicate once the Newton wakes up.

Eckhart