Re: [NTLK] Launch, License or Liberate?! [was Re: OT: Steve and the Newton (Was: Money Making)]

From: L A GREEN (lagoff11_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 09:05:31 PST

AS MANY times as this thread is brought up we all know that we all would do what ever we could to get our beloved green bricks to be renewed in either a new system with all of our, the brains of the list, improvements already installed/built in or a way to improve what we have already. but we also know that the one thing we dont/wont have is permission from apple to do it ourselves. i am sure that they would not even put a price out there for us to even try to put the money together because just their luck we would convince sum other company to front the money and to help us to rebuild the one thing they wont touch again. imagine if they said sure for $100,000 we could have all the licenses we need to build our own newton. what other company out there wouldnt jump at the chance to take what they did and improve upon it. and at that cost im sure its a steal to most of the other pda makers out there. so yes we are willing to do and contribute what we can to make our newt
 s last
 forever in one form or another, will apple say here u go and good luck. i seriously doubt it. of course mho.

LAG

josh musket <jmusket_at_nmu.edu> wrote:
Seriously, how many list members and other newton enthusiasts would like
to start a think tank to look into the feasibility of upgrading the
newton and relaunching? I would. I wouldn't be of a lot of help
technically, but I do have some experience in design (cases, etc). It
seems like many newton people are adept technically, either in hardware
or programming - so it might be feasible if the venture capital could be
gotten. And of course, the hard part: the liscense from Apple.

So a bit of each, sort of.

Well, those are my thoughts, and my first post. Glad to be here.