Re: [NTLK] Feasibility of getting away from NTK

From: Scot McSweeney-Roberts (newton_at_mcsweeney-roberts.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 03:56:45 PDT

Paul Guyot wrote:

>Compilation probably should be done with the help of tools like Lex
>and Yacc. I also suggest using the DCL as the underlying library to
>manipulate NewtonScript objects (i.e. frames, arrays, immediates and
>so on). It probably could be improved performance-wise (there is no
>garbage collect, instead everything is ref-counted on the stack), but
>the DCL exists and it already generates NSOF and packages. It would
>save a lot of time on the interpreter (at least to get it working). I
>suspect writing an 1.x interpreter with the DCL would take a week at
>most with hobbyist skills and time and a good level in C++. (the 2.0
>format is not documented but once you got 1.x functions working, it
>will be very easy to also get 2.x optimized functions working as
>well).

Something that might help in build in building a NewtonScript
interpreter is libjit (http://www.southern-storm.com.au/libjit.html) -
though it's it's still in it's early stages. It's being written by Rhys
Weatherley of the DotGNU project. The goal is to implement a JIT
compiler (and a VM when the JIT doesn't support the architecture it's
running on) that can be used with any VM bytecode or scripting language.

Scot