[NTLK] NIE 2 and Extension Incompatibilities? [Long]

From: Josef Chessor (josefcub_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 21:59:50 PDT

Hi All!

     The basic question is this: What extensions and programs are
known to be incompatible with NIE2?

     Backstory: I was recently gifted with two free and beautiful
Newton 2100s, one in a leather flip-top case, and one in a book-style
case (that I co-opted for my recently E-bay purchased MP130 ;). Both
work, save for one has case damage and the (infamous?) left-bottom
corner misalignment problem. I decided to use the best of the two (a
perfectly functioning gold-screened 2100, beautiful to behold, perfect
of body, and with a strong backlight. All right, all right. I'll
stop gushing already! ;) I backed up my 2000, brainwiped it, and gave
it to my roommate. Then, I threw the backup on my new 2100, and
started the adventure.

     My 2000 had about 50 packages (including books) installed on it.
They all worked well together, with nary a problem or crash because of
them. I had decided early-on to use NIE1.1 on the machine since it
was only a 2000, and I knew that NIE2 took up more resources. Since I
only had a modem, this was perfectly acceptable. But now, since I had
a 2100, I wanted to run NIE 2. I figured this time I'd finally start
looking for a nice, compatible, wifi or wired ethernet card and get
with all the fancy stuff everyone else on this list does.

     I deleted NIE1.1's three packages, deleted the diplomat soups in
Storage, and attempted to install NIE2. This is where the problems
began. NIE2 died in mid-install of Internet Enabler and, worst of
all, required brain-wiping the 2100 in order to get control back after
trying all the other reset methods in the FAQ (it went into the
infinite not-resetting loop even after letting it sit for a long
time). Okay, fine. I'll start this 2100 fresh, I must have a soup
with something it doesn't like.

     I brainwipe the 2100, and start installing just my basic
extensions, Avi's Backdrop, PrefsCleaner, and CardEject. I get done
with that and stop for a bit, just to take a look around in the thing,
maybe set a preference or two, before I load in my applications and
reload my personal data. Close Dock. Tap on Extras:

*bing* Error -10606

     Then another error (a 42-series, IIRC. I didn't remember too
well, I'm afraid). Okay, I'm rather confused at this time ("Object
not found" is not a revealing message, though diving through MARC's
archive tells me that it's a lower-level store error of some kind.) so
I use Avi's Backdrop and tell it to reboot the Newton. The Newton
doesn't come back. Just like last time.

     I've also come down with a sinus infection by this time, and
wasn't thinking too clearly (I'm still not, else I'd probably not have
wasted an hour typing this ;). So I thought I'd ask the list if they
knew of any incompatible packages before I took up the spare, slightly
messed up, 2100 and started the package-by-package search for the
offending member. This e-mail was long, but that search could be even
longer (especially knowing me, Mac System 6 through 9, and trying to
ferret out conflicting extensions. Ugh!).

     For the record, if I haven't put anyone to sleep yet, here are
the base things I installed before experiencing the error and undeath
(This is pasted from something that I'll probably add to the NewtWiki
someday):

----
  System Update 710031 - Update to 710260 which fixes the Dates find bug.
  DoorChime2 - Voyager doorbell, system sound. (Free)
  ExtraExtras - More things to do with items in the Extras drawer. (Freeware)
  Fahrenheit - TallHill's excellent MacinTalk temperature button. (Freeware)
  GraphPaper - Excellent stationery for schematic drawings (Freeware)
  HeapSaver - Saves me heap memory (Commercial)
  HTMList - Adds HTML translation and routing slip abilities. (Demoware)
  NewtWorks Patch - Fix a rather nasty flaw in Newtworks. (Freeware)
  MacInTalk - Text-to-Speech software. (Unreleased/Scaryware)
  Minico - Nonproportional font for use with terminal emulators and such. (Free)
  Optionen - SBM's excellent Prefs enhancement. (Freeware)
  Plan 9 - Enables the aliens in Dates.  (Freeware)
  RotateBook - Rotates my MP2000's screen to suit a Newtonbook. (Freeware)
  Styles+ - Enhances the Styles panel for text entry and formatting. (Freeware)
  Avi's Backdrop 1.31 - Nothing like a good, wallpapered desktop. (Freeware)
  Card Eject - Assists in ejecting Flash memory cards. (Freeware)
  SAI Prefs Cleaner - Erases unused prefs entries. (Freeware)
  Five custom Avi's Backdrop image books (Custom artwork for me,
translated for Avi's)
----
     And all I'm installing thus far of NIE2 is Internet Setup, Modem
and Serial Support, ISP Templates, NIE Patch v4, and the Internet
Enabler extension.
     Before I forget, I've also tried this with a few combinations of
partial restores and package loading orders already.  No dice.  NIE2
either kills the Newton 2100 in mid-install (grip of death in
mid-download of Internet Enabler, followed by the not-rebooting
problem), or after it's been installed and during other package
installs (-10606, not-rebooting), or after installing other packages,
then NIE2 (dies either in mid-install of Internet Enabler or -10606
when I try to do anything, randomly).  I've also tried NIE2 packages
from UNNA, and from my personal copy of the 2100 ISO image.
     The 2100 is currently happy, however, with the old image from my
MP2000, with its packages, soups, extensions, and NIE1.1.  I'm kinda
loathe to totally wipe it, as it's fully adapted and faithful to me,
but if I must...
     My apologies for boring everyone to sleep, and for taking up so
much of all y'all's time.
Take Care!
Josef
PS:  Thanks to everyone on this list.  Not only does the traffic
enliven what is ordinarly a very boring day for me, but it allows me
to learn well, and is an excellent place for researching random topics
I think of related to my Newtons.  I'm up to six now, BTW.  I gave my
roomie my 2000, but retain the two 2100s, a pristine 2000 in box with
ALL the mainstream required accessories, a 130 in great shape, and a
pair of OMPs including the one I bought way back in 1995 that started
my love affair.  I actually didn't find this list until after I'd had
my first 2000 (now the roomie's) for well over a year (a few weeks ago
:).  I'm very glad I joined it.
--
"I laugh because I dare not cry.  This is a crazy world and the only
way to enjoy it is to treat it as a joke."