Re: [NTLK] eMates and Mice?

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 12:46:47 PST

On Feb 3, 2005, at 2:17 PM, Victor Rehorst wrote:

> Goodwin, Greg wrote:
>> Now now... never say never with any computer is what I have
>> learned. You want a cursor to move from vector X,Y to X,Y with the
>> movement of a mouse cursor, I'm sure it can easily be done.
>>

> Greg,
>
> There is no such thing as a 'cursor position' in NewtonOS when the pen
> is not
> touching the screen. There's no ubiquitous cursor, period

I believe Greg is WELL AWARE of this fact - that wouldn't stop someone
from implementing one in software if they so desired.

As for menu navigation without having to reach for the stylus - most
Apple packages on newton have keyboard shortcuts to access menus - try
holding down the Cmd (apple key) for a second or two - and a window
should pop up with keyboard shortcuts. THe appropriate cmd-key sequence
will pop open a menu-picker, from which the arrow keys, typing letters,
and hitting the return key let me make a selection. (Cmd- . ) (thats a
period) is the equivalent of an Escape key to back out of a menu.

Copy and paste are Cmd-C, X or V. Works allows one to select text while
holding the shift key and pressing left or right arrow key, but not
many other apps support selecting text from the keyboard like that.

J Tyler Nichols