Re: [NTLK] Newton GPS prob: "GPS: 0" -----

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 08:27:55 PDT

On Tuesday, May 3, 2005, at 11:28 PM, DJ Vollkasko wrote:

> Still not a happy camper...
>
> I'd tried with various things I believe to be valid candidates for init
> strings, no success.

DJ,

I had an idea. In my experience (with the GPS mouse antenna that I own)
you may need to power it up first, as opposed to powering it up at the
same moment you are starting the GPS application. I know the NewtNav is
cool, but give this a try: Use the GPS mouse antenna without it and
have the antenna already powered up when you launch GPS Map.

This may only be incorrect observations on my behalf but, here it goes:
On those occasions when I've powered up my Polstar GPS mouse antenna
AFTER already having launched the GPS Map application on my Newton, it
seems to take forever (if at all) for the antenna to communicate with
GPS Map. After waiting for a long time, I would quit GPS Map, relaunch
it and then communications would work flawless.

It maybe that you're turning ON the AQ-300 at the exact moment that GPS
Map is sending it's own initialization strings (at startup). When you
quit GPS Map, NewtNav turns of the power to the antenna and your
problem starts over again. Maybe...

Ron

--
RAParker