Re: [NTLK] SonyEricsson/Newton

From: karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 15:31:39 PDT

Sorry for the late reply, but I felt I had to add a few tidbits to that:

Pascal wrote:

> A couple of gripes:
>
> - when you use external headset, there is no way that you can choose to hav=
> the phone ring or not. Meaning: if you use a headset, the ringing is only
> heard in the headset. Not very practical.

This is not the case with a Bluetooth headset (at least not with mine,
which is from Jabra): the phone rings and the headset makes a (rather
pathetic) ding-dong sound.

> - syncing under Windows is much better than with MacOS X. I have been
> struggling to connect the phone to my PowerBook G4 over Bluetooth. Still no=
> very reliable.
> Under Windows you can also link with USB, infrared and Bluetooth. With Mac,
> the only option is Bluetooth (USB does not work, and infrared has
> disappeared on recent Powerbooks).
> Plus there are functions other than syncing which are not possible with Mac
> (like backup).

I've experienced serious problems with the Sony Ericsson desktop in
Windows 2000, up to the point of my pc refusing to shut down. I've
discarded it alltogether and opted for a card reader (which is a _lot_
faster for downloading movies on a card!) and -- recently -- a
Bluetooth stick and Oxygen Phone Manager, which is here:

http://www.opm-2.com/Symbian/

It's not free, but the trial version works (some trickery is needed to
get Bluetooth acces for non-supported devices. If anyone is
interested, mail me privately, as it involves hacking drivers).

My next project: getting PrintBoy to print over Bluetooth to a DeskJet
350. Unfortunately, this version of PrintBoy does not (yet?) support
Docs2Go, but only QuickOffice. I'd have tried IR printing, but by a
mischieveous turn of fate I ended up with a DeskJet 350c and an IR
adapter for a DeskJet 340c; it turns out they are not compatible
(unless someone knows otherwise) and I have a suspicion that my
version of the 350c is not equipped for IR printing anyway.

If interested in further reports (although rapidly becoming wildly
off-topic for this list), let me know.

Oh, BTW, if anyone is interested in that redundant IR adapter for the
HP DeskJet 340c, mail me privately with an offer.

Oh oh, and BBTW: does anyone know of a Bluetooth parallel printer
adapter that runs off a battery rather than a power outlet? It kinda
defies the idea of portable printing to have to plug that thing in a
socket.

Karel Jansens