[NTLK] Re(2): Deadware (was stand alone)

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 00:27:07 PDT

Yes, two very good suggestions.
I did try everything under the sun even in this regard.
The last four characters are so unrecognizable to me, they almost look
like little fortune cookies of all things, I don't know how else to
describe them. So I did what you suggest, opening the on-screen keyboard
and trying whatever looked even remotely like the curved looking fortune
cookies by tapping on the "(" and the ")" brackets because the shapes
had a definite pattern close to this, but still no good.

One thing I've _never_ been able to figure out is when you double click
on the screen to bring up the keyboard sometimes the full horizontal
keyboard will come up and other times the telephone one comes up and
other times the thin vertical one comes up, most likely depending on
what the Newton thinks would be the best alternative. But once for
example the thin vertical one pops up I don't seem to have any way to
make the full keyboard come up even if I want it to. Is there a way? If
this were the case then I would have many more shapes and odd characters
to at least try.

To make matters worse, for some unknown reason, perhaps as one last
security feature to protect the author, the universal license code is
displayed against a dark grey background which in and of itself makes
these strange symbols even harder to decipher.

If I had no qualms about jeopardizing the developers rights I'd post a
screen print of the characters of which I speak and someone on the list
would probably know right away exactly what they are. But the need to
protect the developers universal license exceeds my need as a single
user so I will not ever do this. If you had the ignition key to unlock
the doors of every car in America and start the engine would you
duplicate and distribute them to everyone on the street? I certainly
hope not. If you did everyone would be at risk, not to mention no police
force in the world could outnumber the people with all the keys, nor
could the manufacturer of the car undo you giving the keys out in the
first place.

Back to the pop-up keyboard thing again. If there's a way I can get the
full horizontal keyboard to appear after I double tap and the thin
vertical one comes up then I would at least have a few more options to
experiment with as you say using the shift and option buttons. Is there
any way to make this happen?

John
Somewhere in the forth dimension ;-)
Maybe the Twilight zone :-0