Re: [NTLK] Converge

From: LARRY YOUNG (saillar_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 15:46:24 PDT

As a cell phone the Newton would be my last resort. I agree it is too
big. Smaller is better. However, I would like to see a Newton with all
the modern features and a cell phone included w/ speakerphone. I think
that convergence is great until a point. When I'm on the phone many
times I'm taking notes or looking up something on my Newton and it's a
little tough when it's pinned to your ear. I'm not too big on these
bluetooth ear phones even though they give you terrific hands free
connectivity, possibly a Newt mounted earpiece that fits into a slot
like the stylus. But you still need to have a separate cell phone for
the times you go out and you leave your Newt in the car or at home and
it would have the same phone number. It's amazing. we all know what
should go into a PDA and Palm and the other guys just don't get it.
Blackberry's and the rest can't touch the Newt for HWR and what's with
the Tiny keyboard? The best would be an updated and slimmed down Newton
(except screen size) with all the bells and whistles. Steve Jobs said
video players were not on his radar screen, in fact he thought they
were a waste and now we have this new Video iPod. Convergence = iPod
+ Newton + iBook in a neat little package and I think it's heading in
that direction. I believe Intel still makes the Strongarm processor and
it seems like a natural progression. Getting OS X on a handheld w/ HWR,
THAT'S CONVERGENCE!