Re: [NTLK] MP 130/OS X Connection Difficulties

From: Sam Jacobson <jacobson98_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 19:11:36 EDT

Dear All,

  I am sorry to as a question that may be self-apparent, but I was unable to correct this issue after looking through the archives, including on Wiki. However I have been trying to get the correct software to connect my recently acquired MP 130 with my OS X G5, which I believe is Newton Connections Utilities (NCU), yet I received no software with my Newton.

  First, is NCU the correct software to try and get the Newton to talk with my G5? Second, where do I get the software? Is it freeware or buy to own? I looked on NewtonTalk and Wiki archives, but nothing worked.

  Second, since the Newton uses a serial port, and my G5 only has USB and Firewire, I was trying to use a Keyspan USA-19HS USB-Serial adapter, which is supposed to work well with Macintosh systems. Will this unit work once I have something like NCU installed?

  Third, I kow that the Mp 130 will at least do e-mail, but can it do any internet? Is it too slow? Can the MP 130, such as for e-mail, use a wireless PCMCIA card such as a Lucent Gold WaveLan?

  Thank you all. I REALLY appreciate the help!

Respectfully...