Re: [NTLK] MP 130/OS X Connection Difficulties

From: <maynard_at_jmg.com>
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 20:12:07 EDT

   Hi Sam,

   I don't own an MP130, I have the MP2100. However, I'll try to answer
your questions as best I can. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone else will
chime up with a correction.

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Sam Jacobson wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am sorry to as a question that may be self-apparent, but I was
> unable to correct this issue after looking through the archives,
> including on Wiki. However I have been trying to get the correct
> software to connect my recently acquired MP 130 with my OS X G5, which
> I believe is Newton Connections Utilities (NCU), yet I received no
> software with my Newton.

   OK. I have a g4 powerbook and went through this. Honestly, I've not
been able to get NCU to work within the OS X classic environment at all. I
had to boot into OS 9 to do the initial setup. Unfortunately, I don't
believe a G5 can boot into OS9. Perhaps sheep shaver (macintosh emulator)
might work? Dunno is a binary is available for a G5 though.

> First, is NCU the correct software to try and get the Newton to talk
> with my G5? Second, where do I get the software? Is it freeware or buy
> to own? I looked on NewtonTalk and Wiki archives, but nothing worked.

   It's all available at the unna archives down the apple tree.

> Second, since the Newton uses a serial port, and my G5 only has USB
> and Firewire, I was trying to use a Keyspan USA-19HS USB-Serial
> adapter, which is supposed to work well with Macintosh systems. Will
> this unit work once I have something like NCU installed?

   You might try escale under OS X instead. It's very buggy and often
crashes, but it might get you through the initial install.

> Third, I kow that the Mp 130 will at least do e-mail, but can it do
> any internet? Is it too slow? Can the MP 130, such as for e-mail, use
> a wireless PCMCIA card such as a Lucent Gold WaveLan?

  I don't think so. It would appear to support appletalk over ethernet,
but not TCP/IP. I believe you need newtOS 2.1 for that (MP2x00 and
emates). Which is most annoying. I rarely browse other than to directly
install packages, because it's so slow. But without TCP/IP you can't do
imap. I don't know what other options are available over appletalk.

  A good question to ask (that I don't know the answer to) is will blunt
work on the MP130? If so, you could sync via bluetooth. Mail might be
do-able too. Software is free, though you'll still need the right kind of
bluetooth pcmcia card.

check here: http://40hz.org/Blunt/

Cheers,
--M