Re: [NTLK] MP 130/OS X Connection Difficulties

From: Clayton Mitchell <claytonmitchell_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 20:48:43 EDT

Sam Jacobson wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am sorry to as a question that may be self-apparent,
This is not self-evident at all, here is what I can tell you.
> but I was unable to correct this issue after looking through the archives, including on Wiki. However I have been trying to get the correct software to connect my recently acquired MP 130 with my OS X G5,which I believe is Newton Connections Utilities (NCU), yet I received no software with my Newton.

For this to work you will have to have classic installed. If I recall
correctly Apple did not bundle an os9 disk with the G5s. Someone please
correct me if I am wrong. So you will have to get a copy of OS 9 and
install it. Then you will need to install NCU. You can get it off of
UNNA or use the installer I made for OS X here
http://dulap.drake.edu/clayton/ncu.zip. This is the easy part.

> First, is NCU the correct software to try and get the Newton to talk with my G5? Second, where do I get the software? Is it freeware or buy to own? I looked on NewtonTalk and Wiki archives, but nothing worked.
>
> Second, since the Newton uses a serial port, and my G5 only has USB and Firewire, I was trying to use a Keyspan USA-19HS USB-Serial adapter, which is supposed to work well with Macintosh systems. Will this unit work once I have something like NCU installed?

Here is where you setup gets tricky. This serial adapter is not
compatible with classic (os X only). If you want to use NCU you will
have to get a different adapter.
http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/usa28x/homepage.spml Also the
USA-19HS is a PC type serial adapter, not the round Macintosh kind. You
would have to get an adapter to use from the newton to the USB to Serial
Adapter. Talk about a mess of cables. If you do not want to use NCU
(still the gold standard for getting stuff to and from your newton) you
could use NewTen
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15408&vid=91904 or
Escale http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/#escale

Both will put packages onto your newton but do not offer the full backup
and movement of data that NCU does.

> Third, I kow that the Mp 130 will at least do e-mail, but can it do any internet? Is it too slow? Can the MP 130, such as for e-mail, use a wireless PCMCIA card such as a Lucent Gold WaveLan?

I do not have a 130 so someone more knowledgeable than I will have to
answer this one.
> Thank you all. I REALLY appreciate the help!
>
> Respectfully...

Good luck.