Re: [NTLK] Seeking 1 or 2MB Newton memory cards

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Fri Jul 21 2006 - 20:22:12 EDT

On 7/21/2006 3:45 PM, Jon Glass wrote:
> On 7/21/06, Dan <dan@dbdigitalweb.com> wrote:
>> Of
>> course all apple cards will but they are somewhat hard to come by in
>> comparison to other cards.
>
> Actually, my point in bringing up my questions/concerns is that I'm
> sitting here with a 1 (s)meggie card right here in my hand, which is
> not being used for anything. It's the Apple-brand 1mb Red and black
> card, dating from 1993, believe it or not....
>
> However, I didn't want to go through the effort, and get someone's
> hopes up if it wasn't going to work for him. However, if he _can_ do
> backups of less than the full monty, and he is willing to risk this
> card, I can send it to him. So, Chris, you up to it? From all I've
> read, it should work, however, that voltage issue could bite you, so
> it's good to be clear if this older 1 mb card will actually work in
> your eMate. And I'll need to wipe it to see that it's still good first
> (and to clear off the last backup, now that it may be going)

Well I did some looking and I found that the 1mb apple SRAM models DID
work all newtons (PN: H0028LL/A). However, most of the flash cards, 2
and 4mb only mounted read only (PN: H0008LL/A, H0092LL/A). But one card
4mb apple card did work (H0230LL/A) and those had the white label I believe.

Other flash cards that are known to work in emates are:

INTEL Series 2+, P/N: iMC0nnFLSP where nn is the memory capacity in MB.
They came in 4, 08, 20, 40 MB
Reading voltage: 3.3V,5V; writing-/erasing voltage 3.3V,5V,12V.

INTEL Value Series 100, P/N: iMC0nnFLSC where nn is the memory capacity
in MB. They came in 02, 04, 08, 16 MB.
Reading voltage: 5V; writing-/erasing voltage 5V

Now if I remember right Viking has several cards that have those
voltages and will work as reported by several members in the past (look
for linear 5v reading and writing). You might want to dig in the
archives, or perhaps someone will speak up that know the particulars.

Or go for a SRAM card, they are not as common but any SRAM card will
work in a Newton. I have bought several over the years, but the are
usually more expensive than FLASH but don't have limited write cycles
like FLASH does. Is that a issue? Some say there is so many write
cycles that your great grand kids could be still using the same FLASH
without a problem in a Newton. Others say no. There has been several
debates in the past and you might want to check the archives.

-Dan