Re: [NTLK] Jaggies make me sad - my fix

From: Steven Frank <stevenf_at_panic.com>
Date: Thu May 04 2006 - 20:04:03 EDT

On May 4, 2006, at 3:07 PM, toby wrote:

> This has worked for the last 3 or so months. Mind you somebody did
> ask why I had a bit of paper shoved under that edge as the paper is
> blue and somewhat visible :-) Oh well, that fix gave me back my 2100
> without jaggies and took less than 1 minute. The paper tab is folded
> back to it does not cover any of the screen so I've got the full use
> of the screen. I'm assuming something *is* jammed under the edge and
> I' wedging the case edge away from it. Or maybe I'm tightening the
> connection for the digitizer? Is it in that corner?

The digitizer connects to the motherboard in the area kind of near
the power switch, if I remember correctly. And that's an interesting
workaround. :)

When I had it all taken apart, I tried sticking a small folded piece
of thin cardboard underneath the digitizer's ribbon cable, wondering
if getting it to press more tightly against the motherboard
connectors was the solution. It didn't seem to change anything
(although it wasn't exactly the most scientifically carried-out
experiment ever). So, my hunch is that the digitizer-to-motherboard
connection is fine.

The theory I believe most at this point is that something, somewhere
is causing the digitizer to register more than one simultaneous point
of contact, but I don't know if it's the case causing that, or an
internal problem in the digitizer itself, or what. There certainly
was no dirt, dust, or otherwise under the case edge by the time all
was said and done, but the problem stuck around.

Maybe in a few more days I'll be prepared to fiddle with it some
more. At least I can't make the situation too much worse than it
already is. :)

Steven
http://panic.com/
http://stevenf.com/