Re: [NTLK] downloading packages from tek-ed?

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun May 07 2006 - 17:59:45 EDT

Now that is very strange...
  I thought I had an email address on my main page,but I can't seem to find it...Oh well...I'll add one.
  As for the MIME type, I don't remember seeing the type:
  application/x-newton-package.
  I wonder which one is *MORE* correct?
  I am forcing the MIME setting by manually manipulating the header of the package download to assure that Newtons can properly process the pkg file. I had tried with just a server side setting, but found that some of the Newton browsers didn't always process all the PKGs the same. So I wrote some Cold Fusion code to manually populate the MIME in the downloaded header.
  If the application/x-newton-package MIME type is more correct than what I have, I can make the changes no problem...
  Otherwise, if using a Mac, try one of the PKG typers to reset the resource fork of the pkg so that the Mac OS can understand what to do with the file...
  Also, I'm always available at this email address...I may not read my emails constantly, but I do respond to emails sent to this address...as long as my spam filter doesn't capture the email...
  I'll also put a link on my page on where to get pkg typers and put in an email address somewhere that is plainly obvious.
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
simon <simski@dds.nl> wrote:
  Hello all,

again a strange thing:

the nice site of http://newton.tek-ed.com has some strange things. if i
download directly to my newt with newtscape everything works great, but
if i try to do it to a desktop computer and use NCU my newton is
complaining that this is not a newton package. it seems that there is
something wrong with the mime settings somewhere. tek-ed uses
applixation/x-newton-compatible-pkg, unna uses
application/x-newton-package. i've tested it both with mac osx and os9
and set my mime settings the same for both mime types, but to no avail.

because i can't reach tek-ed (only very old email on his site) to ask
for some info, could someone try is as well for me? just to make shure
that my settings are okay.

and of course, if Tek-ed is listening, please contact us.

--
met vriendelijke groet
Simon Claessen