Re: [NTLK] Possible newton newbie questions

From: Javier Monllor <jmonll2_at_uic.edu>
Date: Sat Oct 07 2006 - 20:23:39 EDT

Hi and welcome to the list. I'll try and answer your questions to the
best of my knowledge.

On Oct 7, 2006, at 6:25 PM, Vuk Radic wrote:
> connect to powerbook, sync with adress
> book and ical

I would say that, for now, this is the Newton's biggest drawback.
Currently, unless you have Classic installed (I don't), there is no
app out there that does this correctly. What I have decided to do was
import all my address entries through bluetooth as vcards and stayed
away from iCal sync as the Newton has trouble with "all day" entries.

> access the wifi network i have (to read email, browse
> the net and use ichat or anything similar),

Accesing the internet with WiFi is possible. You need a driver for
your WiFi card but the developer has gone MIA. Some people are trying
to contact him. I find that reading my email is possible and the MP
does it pretty well with my IMAP account. I have not browsed the net
but have heard from others that it is slow and not a good experience.
Regarding iChat, you can only use jabber and only if the server uses
plain text login. Just today I was trying to use NewtJab and realized
my jabber server uses SSL so I can't use it.

> and maybe be possible to
> do some bluetooth work.

Read the message I sent out just this morning regarding my
experiences with bluetooth. It works very well with Mac OSX except
for a few annoying hiccups. I believe a new version of the bluetooth
driver (Blunt) is being worked on.

> i would also be greatful if someone could provide me with
> an adress where to buy newton except for ebay.

I bought my MP through Ebay and it was a good experience. I've heard
people give good reviews to http://www.jksalesinc.com/. They have
good prices and I've considered upgrading my MP 2000 with a 2100
from them.

> and now a very practical question. if i want to reply to an answer i
> get, do i hit reply or reply all in my os x mail.app

Just hit Reply.

> P.S. I just remembered a few more questions: can i get gps on my
> newton? what is the largest memory i can use for it? thanks

I believe you can but I'm no expert. Someone in the list can
probably be more specific about this.