Re: [NTLK] Newton & knowledge management

From: Michael C. Wittmann <mwittmann_at_maine.edu>
Date: Sat Oct 28 2006 - 19:02:24 EDT

Hi, Thomas,

I've posted a few messages on how I keep my information around at
<http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/MichaelWittmann>.
That's probably not quite what your'e looking for, so I'll answer the
questions here:

> I am very curious how people capture and retain information in a
> searchable format.

I transfer my Notes as text or OPML files to the desktop, and have
them archived there. I have a core storage area, and put aliases of
those files into any other folders that might need them. I've begun
"tagging" files with metadata, but there's too much backlog for it to
be of much use.

I transfer Dates by using DateSum. Every week, I archive my Dates by
using DateSum to create a Note that contains that week's dates and
tasks information. This gets sent to the desktop and stored in a
"Dates" folder inside my "MasterNotes" location.

I once downloaded all my Names and uploaded them into a variety of
Address/PIM files that are (or are not) in use. The Newton is no
longer my main Names file, and only contains actively used names and
projects for my project management.

> The only format that seems to transcend through time are .txt files.
> Newton notes easily convert to txt files.

That's exactly how I do all my work. It's all text, all the time,
basically.

> Questions;
>
> Does this Newton and its followers continue to live on because you
> use it to capture notes for future knowledge?

I use it because the HWR is absolutely incredible. The linking of
data (notes to dates to names to tasks) allows me to have a million
different ways of parsing my information. True information
management, portable, and MUCH less awkward to have in a meeting than
any other machine. It's just not kosher to take a laptop to many
settings, and it won't last for hours of use.

> Assuming most of this group are mac users, how do you keep notes for
> future reference?

That's where the referenced wiki page will help you out, I think. The
filing on the Newton is like in the Finder and in Mail, always the
same hierarchies and dependencies...

I hope that helps. Like you, I found that I couldn't do all this with
a Palm, and I came back to the Newton 2 or 3 years ago as a result.
NewtSync, which was instrumental to my re-conversion, has actually
been used less than Blunt and bluetooth, once I got that working.
Welcome back, it's a great place to be!

Michael