Re: [NTLK] questions from an ultra-noob.

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed Aug 01 2007 - 14:45:32 EDT

This is normal for a XP machine. Yes you need to run the dreaded
Slowdown.exe or better yet (and what I do on my XP box) is to create a
virtual PC and load Win98SE. Virtual PC is a free download from Microsoft. I
run NTK and NCU and find much more effective than Slowdown.exe

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
mhowe@gfn.org (Newton)
http://santa-duck.dyndns.org (Newton server)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/ (desktop)

Matt Riegler wrote:
2. i've been able to connect at 9600 baud (windows xp, running on a real
screamer of a computer) using the newton connection utility software, and
can install packages without any trouble...but if i hit 'export' on n.c.u.,
the program hangs for some varying period of time, then disconnects me
entirely. is this related to the dreaded 'slowdown' question that i've been
seeing on the list? or is there some setting i need to change?
thanks in advance for any and all input (even putdowns, if need be!) - i'm
enjoying reading all of your comments as i get to know my newt.