[NTLK] Back in the Newton Fold

From: Albert <albalabs_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Aug 28 2007 - 19:33:38 EDT

It seems that every time I try to leave, the Newton
pulls me back in. I have been a Newton User since the
debut of the Newton 120. Prior to this I was
fascinated by the concept of Newton, but was too young
to afford buying my own Newton until the 120 was
released. My second Newton was a MP2000 and I
upgraded that. I used my Newton constantly as a
Organizer, Scheduler, Phone Book, Notetaker. Yes it
always did elicit major interest in meetings whenever
I whipped it out. Most colleagues after seeing it,
wanted to know where to buy it, but were always put
off by the price at the time. Eventually I moved on
to Pocket PC's as my main organizer, and then to
Smartphones, but none of them ever could replace the
affection I had for the Newton. I eventually sold all
of my Newton hardware, but always kept my software
repository, maybe thinking that one day I would
return. I ended up buying a two second hand MP2100s
and also an MP120 for nostalgias sake, but again ended
up selling these when funds went low. That's whats
great about Newtons they sure retain their value. Now
I'm back in the fold again.. I have a new Newton 2100
courtesy of eBay. I am also looking to buy an eMate
for my daughter to play with. I am amazed at this
group and their support for each other.

What is it about the Newton that pulls me back even
though I have a very capable organizer in my
Smartphone? It's personality. The Newton as a device
has a personality. In the way that my thoughts on the
Newton are stored like a diary. Not so with a Pocket
PC, no sirree.. On a Windows machine, everything is a
file with a file name and location. With my Newton
it's just like my personal journal. It's also all the
little things like erasing words by crossing them out,
much like you would do in real life. And deleting
files has a nice animation of the paper crumpling up
and thrown in the trash! Tell me what other interface
feels so natural.. And that is what a Newton is, it's
a natural extension of us, not an artificial feeling
appendage like a Windows Mobile Device. I'll still
use my Smartphone for day to day, but my Newton will
now be relegated to a device to capture my thoughts
naturally and be recorded for posterity. Tell me what
you guys think.. I'm a previous lurker here, but my
passion has rekindled for this wonderful device.

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222