Re: [NTLK] I need a PDA, is a Newton a sane choice today?

From: Peter Glaze <pglaze_at_rcn.com>
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 02:32:59 EST

Depends on the level of work/time you are willing to put into
acquiring/installing the software to bring it up to a livable level; and
what you really need a PDA to do.

My experience with Newtons goes back to a MP130 I had a little after it
first came out. I loved it, but when the MP2000/MP2100 came out I lusted
after that one until I was finally able to get an upgraded MP2000 back
about 1999. I was brokenhearted when Apple dumped it.

In the interim I've had a Casio Pocket PC (very expensive, lost data
frequently, screen broke when one of my kids jumped on me), HP Jornada
548 (nice unit, but processor became obsolete and it kept dumping all my
data), NEC handheld with built in keyboard (bigger than MP2100 processor
became obsolete and it kept dumping all my data), and finally my a
Toshiba e740 which was a great unit with built in WIFI (kept losing my
data, had problems which manufacturer refused to acknowledge and stopped
dead the day after my warranty expired).

Through all this my MP2100 has never lost any info I have put into it. I
have, several times, not used it for up to two years and when I picked
it up and charged it, it still had every program or scrap of info I had
in it intact. It just works and keeps on working. I've given up on all
the others and just keep going back to my Newton despite its limitations
because it works.