Re: [NTLK] I need a PDA, is a Newton a sane choice today?

From: Mark Harter <willmark_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 08:08:49 EST

I?m on somewhat the same boat as many here. I was a Palm user from 1998-2002, using various models. What killed it for me every time was Graffiti sucked to put in bluntly. To say that it felt counter intuitive to me would be an understatement. Yet I soldiered on for 4 years.

My first Newt was a 120 from eBay in Jan 2005. Learned a bit about it but, it was limited. Got an Upgraded 2000 in July of 06 and have never looked back. The HWR on the Newt blows anything else out there out of the water, and for me that was the ?killer app?

Now with that being said I do agree that the Newtons day is numbered. Apple is highly unlikely to ever release something similar; the iPhone will be about as close as we will get. It would be nice if that were not the case, but sadly it most likely will be.

I love bleeding edge tech in almost everything, but after playing around with many PDAs, Smartphones, Palms etc? I can say this: Nothing comes close to the Newt. Even with all of its unfinished ideas and the state it was left in the Newt was so far ahead of its time its scary. Think about it the last versions had a 162 MHz processor! Desktop towers didn?t have much more if at all!

Back to the original post: The Newt can be a great tool, but always back up everything: daily might be the best bet, weekly at least. Also you will have to ?fiddle? around with it quite a bit to get it work right, more so than any other PDA out there today, mainly due to its age.

I personally like the Blackjack but the fact that it runs Windows Mobile (which is utter crap IMHO). I rather have it running Symbian or Palm OS or anything else than Mobile? sigh.