Re: [NTLK] I need a PDA, is a Newton a sane choice today?

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 08:19:39 EST

On 3/9/2007 1:40 AM, Morgan Nichol wrote:
>> So, assuming I can get my hands on a 2000/2100, and a supported Wifi/BT or
>> Lan card, can I realistically expect a Newton to fill my needs?
>
> Maybe? Only way to find out is to try one. I have one of course, and it's
> kind of fun I guess. But I really think the Newton's day is done.

Depends on what your needs are. I certainly love mine and use it all
the time.

> Or should I forget it and just go buy a Palm?
>
> Sure, though unlike the haters earlier in the thread I favor Windows Mobile
> devices. iPaqs are great. Great ebook reader (Microsoft Reader, I love it)
> great wireless integration, heaps of good apps. Of course a smartphone will
> do all that and your phone calls too.

Well to each their own. But I do have to admit that some of the
features of the windows mobile are attractive, I still don't see
anything I would want to give up my Newt for. Even after all these
years it gets the job done. The Newton is also a great ebook reader,
but I will agree it won't work with the books that have DRM. But then
again I don't buy books with DRM. And I will always know that my ebooks
will work no matter what platform I am using. There have been many
cases of people with DRM books that either after they upgraded their
software (needed when you buy a book that is made with a later version
of the software that you don't have installed), hardware or just
reinstalled that the books they purchased no longer worked. Just too
risky in my book (no pun intended). But again to each their own.
However I will say that the more people that purchase content with DRM
the less likely that companies will be willing to give it up (it is a
bad idea all the way around).

-Dan