Re: [NTLK] To all of you NTK coders

From: Morgan Aldridge <makkintosshu_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu Oct 18 2007 - 17:03:07 EDT

On Oct 18, 2007, at 2:39 PM, Brian Parker wrote:

> AppSymbol is the app name and developer string together, like |
> myApp:mySig|
>
> NTK automatically sets up the kAppSymbol constant for your own app,
> but I don't know how to figure out the symbol for other apps. The
> ones for Apple apps are likely something like |Dates:Apple| or |
> Dates:Newton| but that is just a guess. One way would be to set the
> Dates as backdrop app, then use GetUserConfig('blessedApp)

I'm not a Newton developer yet, but I'd assume some hints as to how
to obtain the AppSymbol of other apps programatically could be
gleamed from the source for Adam Tow's HyperNewt <http://www.tow.com/
software/newton.shtml> or its HyperLink Manager Modules.

> Are there any recent replacements for NTK that run on MacOSX on
> Intel? Maybe a classic Mac emu like minivMac is best...

DyneTK <http://code.google.com/p/dynee5/> is open source, runs on Mac
(PPC & Intel) as well as Windows. Of course, it's still probably a
good idea to have Basilisk II <http://basilisk.cebix.net/> <http://
gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/basilisk2/> around running the
original NTK <http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/development/NTK> as
DyneTK is not feature complete yet.

Listen for updates from Eckhart Köppen <http://www.40hz.org/>, as well.

Morgan Aldridge