Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V8 #100

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Mar 04 2008 - 09:06:54 EST

I think the best low budget upgrade you can do for an eMate that you
plan to donate is to provide a StyleWriter or HP Deskwriter printer
and serial cable. With this addition it makes a very nice simple word
processor. An external fax/modem is also a low cost upgrade, you
used to see the small newton modems for relatively low prices on ebay.

Anytime I find an eMate ram upgrade for less than $50 I buy it and
offer it to this group as part of a reconditioned eMate for as low a
price as I can, usually $100 or $50 for the card alone, In fact I
have recently tracked down a couple if all goes well.

The non upgraded eMate can also be set up for ethernet for connecting
to you desktop for NCX NCU or web sharing.

It can also function as an email client, but this is where you would
get into memory issues unless you use it only for sending, too many
people now expect to send httml content or large attachments that can
be a problem. I'm sure limits can be set.

Good luck.

Woody