Re: [NTLK] WiFi setup help

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Fri Jul 24 2009 - 15:24:26 EDT

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Morgan
Aldridge<morgant@makkintosshu.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM, David Neale<david.neale@telenet.be> wrote:
>>
>> If interested, please take a look at
>>
>> http://perso.orange.es/nealegeorge/mp2100problem.html
>
> Firstly, while your AirPort is configured to "Connect Using:
> 'Ethernet'", it has a self-assigned IP address (169.254.239.28) which
> means it's not actually on the Internet.
>
> You mention that you're now using ADSL as opposed to Cable. Does your
> ADSL supplier require PPPoE? If so, try switching "Connect Using:" to
> "PPPoE", entering the correct credentials, saving the AirPort
> settings, and seeing if that helps.
>
> Are the other computers on the network configured to connect via
> ethernet through your AirPort or are they configured for PPPoE?

Oops, I missed the table of info returned from your ADSL router.

It's got an IP of 192.168.1.1, so is it providing DHCP to your other
machines? It is if they're getting IPs in the 192.168.1.x range and
are set by DHCP.

If they are, then you'll want to do the following:

1) Disable sharing a single IP in the AirPort (that way you don't have
double-NAT which might cause some issues) by going to the "Network"
tab an unchecking the "Distribute IP addresses" checkbox. Then save
the settings, of course.
2) Then make sure that the AirPort is plugged into your router via the
Ethernet (<••>) port, as opposed to the WAN (the little dotted circle)
port to make sure it's properly picking up DHCP from your router.

It should then get an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range and it
should be able to pass DHCP through to devices on the WiFi.

This'll get you on the right path, but it'll likely take more
troubleshooting, so let us know how it goes.

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/