Re: [NTLK] LakeTahoeHikingNewton - Cool Setups Archived from WikiWikiNewt

From: R A Parker <RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET>
Date: Fri Jun 19 2009 - 01:37:00 EDT

On Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 6:45 pm Phil Muller wrote:

> I would like to pay homage to one
> of the first sites I ever read on
> the Newton

Funny thing about it...

This was my first attempt at writing an online journal about my own, newly found, obsession... a Newton 120 and an official U.S. Army issued camo carrying case.

> It quickly became a strong interest of
> mine to explore every area of use
> for my device, ever since.

Yep, I know that feeling. I still have this vision that, one day, I WILL get myself lost in the wilderness. Grandiose stories of survival and adventure. Logged and archived on my solar powered, GPS Hiking Newton. Uploaded from some remote, undisclosed location via satellite or cellular.

> I have recently started a personal
> archive of Newton internet sites
> that I can find

I've noticed.

> and recently came across the
> website that made me want
> to use my newt for more than just a
> journal/e-book reader.

You can archive it if you wish... but wouldn't it be nice to bring it back, better than before?!

> I have wanted to put internal GPS into
> mine ever since, and it had forever
> changed how I looked at my device.

Ah... so many times I've wanted to update that article. Alas, the wikiwikinewt never did allow me to make changes. Something happened to it about a year later and edits were locked out.

I've wanted to finish out those dead links for so long. I've had so many fun adventures with my hiking Newton. I written at least two other great stories... besides the updates to some of the hardware ideas... bluetoooth, cellular, solar chargers, lithium polymers... oh yeah!

I was hoping the new NewtonKnowledge wiki would have been a good replacement but eh... I need to keep looking into it.

> I plan on using it forever, well...
> time permitting; I suppose.

Yeah... til the screen dies ... or I should break down. Die from this obsession. Buy an ¡Phone. Commit financial suicide (aka: the $1,200 / 2 year AT&T contract)... they will be prying this Newt out of my stiff, cold, dead phalanges.

> Happy Trails all, I hope you enjoy the
> read.

ha ha ha... Happy Trails to you, too!

<http://web.archive.org/web/20080213111257/tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/LakeTahoeHikingNewton>

> Written by Ron A. Parker - February 25,
> 2005 - All Rights Reserved

It's always been about the photographs:

<http://www.flickr.com/groups/newtons/pool/64149699@N00/>

Inspired by your list marm, himself, the man known as g.

The one, the only, splorp:

<http://www.flickr.com/groups/newtons/pool/13522901@N00/>

oh, and don't forget lynx81, some of the best shots yet to be matched from Newtons Around the World:

<http://www.flickr.com/groups/newtons/pool/78152162@N00/>

> Phil Muller
> Newton Enthusiast & User
> itouch user

And yes... I DO want an iPhone... too.

Ron

--
Sent using Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
     |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM