[NTLK] Calling out to all developers...

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Sun Jan 31 20:16:39 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 8:14 AM, Matthias Melcher <mm at matthiasm.com> wrote:

> TASK 1: the MMU need over 50% of the emulation time. Remove all dependencies on the MMU from the Newton ROM.
>  1.1: find the code in ROM that creates memory pages that are not mapped to RAM yet
>  1.2: intercept all callers and make them allocate true RAM instead of MMU pages
>  1.3: verify in Einstein that no more MMU hits are created at run time
>  1.4: remove 90% of MMU emulation from Einstein, doubling emulation speed
>
> TASK 2: emulating the CPU is the next bottle neck. generate pseudo C++ code and manually replace the most time consuming functions
>  2.1: use the symbol table and the ROM to create a complete C++ source tree
>  2.2: use analysis tools and hit counting to find the functions that are called most often
>  2.3: compile those into Einstein and patch the ROM (we already do that)
>
> TASK 3: auto-generate C++ code
>  3.1: use the knowledge from task 2 to improve the interpreter from 2.1
>  3.2: fill in the missing information that is not in the symbol table
>  3.2.1: find return values where they are needed
>  3.2.2: replace all access to fixed addresses in RAM with symbols
>  3.3: remove the remaining MMU emulation
>  3.4: compile natively and relocatable code and make NewtonOS into a user-space application
>
> TASK 4: driver for al platforms
>  4.1: with NewtonOS running natively at full speed, create a standardized driver interface
>  4.2: write screen/touch//sound/etc. drivers for all target platforms
>  4.3: enjoy!

This is such a great roadmap. Can you toss that up on the Einstein
Wiki as such? Also, I believe you had some choice comments on a forum
somewhere recently about porting Einstein to other platforms and that
some of it was related to a potential roadmap?

Morgan Aldridge
---
morgant at makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/