Re: [NTLK] eMate to iMac?

From: Jonathan A. Rodriguez (cameraboy9_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 23:23:35 EDT

Blindwolf,

If you're willing to spend a little extra cash, there's an easy solution. I had
the same dillema (except that I'm on a G4 Tower - still USB only tho.) I
purchased a Belkin USB to Serial Adapter; you can find them at most major
computer chains (I found mine at Fry's out here in CA). It resembles a rounded
hockey puck with one side flattened, so it's like a "D" shape. It has some
status LED's on it's front side. It comes in a tallish yellow box with a
see-through plastic insert containing the unit and a bunch of colorful plastic
covers (sleeves) to make it match your iMac or iBook. It cost me about $50.00,
and it works like a charm.

Basically, all you need besides the adapter module is an 8-pin male serial to
8-pin male serial cable. (This is sold separately; just ask for a "mac serial
cable"; it also should come with the eMate, unless you got it second hand) You
plug this cable into the side of your eMate, and the other end of the cable
into the converter module. The mudule comes with a length of USB cable; you
plug that into your mac, install NCU (Newton Connection Utilities) on the mac
(availible at UNNA.org) and you should be off and transferring files! It works
like a charm for me.

I'll give you a few tips to take note of, though, and these are IMPORTANT, so
do take note:

-MAKE SURE you get the USB to S E R I A L adapter, not USB to ADB adapter (like
my dumb-ass did the first time... hey, the cables look similar!) Also make sure
you have a Mac serial cable, not an ADB cable. A Mac serial cable comes with
the eMate, though if you got the eMate used, you may not have gotten one. Again
, you can buy them at most mom & pop computer shops and some big stores, like
Fry's or maybe CompUSA. (Technical Name: "8-pin Mini-DIN Male to 8-pin Mini-DIN
Male")

-Your mac WILL NOT boot up if you have the adapter module plugged in with a
serial cable attached to nothing. The red LED on the adapter will light up and
you will just get a gray screen, no happy mac. Either have the eMate or Newton
attached to the cable, or UNPLUG the usb cable from your mac. It took me a damn
hour to figure this out :-).

-When you download NCU, download the three disk images if you can instead of
the main installer. For some reason, some people (including me) have found the
main .hqx installer to be corrupt. Just drag each disk image onto your Disk
Copy utility on your mac (do a search in Sherlock... you will find it :-) and
it will make three "floppies" on your desktop that your Mac thinks are real
floppy disks. Open the installer from the first disk, and it should figure
itself out from there.

There you have it! Anyone else on the list feel free to correct me wherever I'm
wrong, and add any tips I might have forgotten to mention.

Happy Serial Transferring! (Lame, I know :-)
-Jon