Re: [NTLK] Hooking up an Old Newt to a Modern Network

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 13:17:49 EDT

On Wednesday, August 15, 2001, at 03:54 AM, Bob R. Kenyon wrote:

> I'd like to get my Newt hooked up to my network, but I'm having
> trouble. Here's the deal.
>
> I have an Airport doing both phoning duties to the internet, and
> bridging duties to both my ethernet network and my wireless network.
>
> I have an ethernet hub connected to the airport distributing to my
> non wireless computer and to my LocalTalk network via an iPrint
> adapter.
>
> The LocalTalk network connects my Laserwriter NTR and some other
> vintage Mac equipment, and my Newton.
>
> My network is running AppleTalk over IP because of the presence of OS
> X on my Cube, and besides it seems to be faster.
>
> But my newt can't see any of this when it's hooked up through the
> serial port, not even the printer! What gives? The print chooser on
> the newton times out, and none of the IP stuff works. The IP stuff
> does work through the modem, though.
>
> And I know all of you are going to tell me to get an ethernet card
> for my newt, but I don't want to just yet, unless that's the only way
> to go. I just thought there would be a way to make this work.

I didn't test it, but maybe the Newton doesn't support AppleTalk over
IP? Nonetheless, the Newton should at least see the stuff on the
LocalTalk network. If you have a LocalTalk network, I'm assuming you're
using some kind of LocalTalk connectors, or PhoneNet, right? Do you have
one for your Newton? I'm not sure I understand when you say "when it's
hooked up through the serial port". Although the DIN-8 port on a Newton
can act as a serial port, it is actually a LocalTalk port when you're
printing to a network printer, like your LaserWriter.

If you can, disconnect your LocalTalk network from your iPrint. Power
off everything on the LocalTalk network, then turn your printer on.
Then, try to print from your Newton. When the print dialog appears, make
sure you select "Choose Network LaserWriter" from the "Printer" popup.
Your LaserWriter should be listed in the browser that will appear. If
not, then there is something wrong with the connectors you're using. Try
a different one with your Newton. Remember that you need a LocalTalk or
a PhoneNet connector to get on a LocalTalk network that has multiple
devices on it.

If all else fails, you could always setup a one-to-one LocalTalk
connection between your LaserWriter and your Newton. You will need a
real serial cable to do that. Remove your LocalTalk or PhoneNet
connectors and plug one end of your cable in your LaserWriter LocalTalk
port. Plug the other end to the LocalTalk port on your Newton. Try to
print.

-Laurent.