Re: [NTLK] Hooking up an Old Newt to a Modern Network

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 13:49:46 EDT

> > But my newt can't see any of this when it's hooked up through the
> > serial port, not even the printer! What gives? The print chooser on
> > the newton times out, and none of the IP stuff works. The IP stuff
> > does work through the modem, though.
> I didn't test it, but maybe the Newton doesn't support AppleTalk over
> IP?
Good point, Laurent. But at which stage does the AppleTalk become IPX or
whatever the obviously non-compatible protocol is called. I have TCP/IP
enabled at home in all macs in the Network and basically the same
configuration as Bob R. Kenyon has.

> Nonetheless, the Newton should at least see the stuff on the
> LocalTalk network.
And it does normally (unless something is broken as is in my recent MP2k1).
MP120's and MP130's see everything in the net but not the internet because
they lack NIE2 and NIE1.1.1 doesn't support TCP/IP over AT.

> one for your Newton? I'm not sure I understand when you say "when it's
> hooked up through the serial port".
Bob, you must check your Prefs and set them to AppleTalk->LocalTalk. And be
shure that you use the right cable. The best is of course to use the
original Mini8 cable. With a DB9 cable you have a fair chance to create a
crossed connection when you needed a straight one.

> ...get on a LocalTalk network that has multiple
> devices on it.
And be shure to terminate the last PhoneNet boxes at the ends of the chain
with that small termination resistor, crimped into a RJ12 connector.

> If all else fails, you could always setup a one-to-one LocalTalk
> connection between your LaserWriter and your Newton. You will need a
> real serial cable to do that.
I tried this with a direct connection from Newton to an elder iPrint adapter
and it did not work at all. I had to use two AT adapter boxes and one AT
cable. More recent iPrint adapters have RJ12 (PhoneNet) connectors only and
the AT box built-in.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing