Re: [NTLK] Hooking up an Old Newt to a Modern Network

From: Bob R. Kenyon (rrk_at_bobrk.com)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 03:28:35 EDT

Thanks for the suggestions, guys....

At 19:49 +0200 2001/8/15, Marco Mailand wrote:
>At 13:17 -0400 2001/8/15, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>I have TCP/IP
>enabled at home in all macs in the Network and basically the same
>configuration as Bob R. Kenyon has.

And it works, right?

> > one for your Newton? I'm not sure I understand when you say "when it's
>> hooked up through the serial port".
>Bob, you must check your Prefs and set them to AppleTalk->LocalTalk.

Check.

>And be
>shure that you use the right cable. The best is of course to use the
>original Mini8 cable. With a DB9 cable you have a fair chance to create a
>crossed connection when you needed a straight one.

I'm using a PhoneNet connector directly into the dongle and thence
into the Newt. That should work to make a network connection, right?

> > ...get on a LocalTalk network that has multiple
>> devices on it.
>And be shure to terminate the last PhoneNet boxes at the ends of the chain
>with that small termination resistor, crimped into a RJ12 connector.

Check. The ancient basics of PhoneNet.

> > If all else fails, you could always setup a one-to-one LocalTalk
>> connection between your LaserWriter and your Newton. You will need a
>> real serial cable to do that.
>I tried this with a direct connection from Newton to an elder iPrint adapter
>and it did not work at all. I had to use two AT adapter boxes and one AT
>cable. More recent iPrint adapters have RJ12 (PhoneNet) connectors only and
>the AT box built-in.

I probably should have been more clear about what I wanted to do.
Getting to the printer isn't nearly as important as getting back into
the Ethernet network to do backups with one of my Macs. I'd rather
make this work then try to do serial port stuff with these later
systems that don't seem to support the old Comm Toolbox.

Hmmm. Maybe the Ethernet card is looking better and better...

Bob

--
Bob R. Kenyon
Beautiful Downtown San Jose, CA