Re: [NTLK] emate battery

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 02:57:20 EDT

on 8/21/01 3:18 AM, Samuel Jacobson at jacobson98_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> Thank you for the "Robert's Soldering Tip." For an unexperienced solderer
> any advice is more than welcomed and appreciated. However I had a question.
> When holding the tip of the soldering gun to the battery's soldering lip
> should there be any concern that the lip will begin to melt if one does not
> transfer the tin quickly enough? As a "newbie to soldering" I would
> probably be very cautious when attempting such a task, thus most likely
> slow at the action.

This is where having the tip hot enough comes into play. the hotter the tip,
the better you are, as the solder will flow sooner, and less heat will go to
the base. You can also take cotton balls, soak them in water, squeeze out
the excess, and place them on the piece you are soldering as a heat sink.
(boy, that was a doozie of a sentence--hope it's understandable.)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams