Re: [NTLK] Apple Repair SUCKS

From: Larry Zasitko (l.zasitko_at_sk.sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 16:53:33 EST

and gopi_at_sin.sloth.org wrote:
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Apple Repair SUCKS
>
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, DON wrote:
> > Well,
> > I got my Newton 2100 back from APPLE REPAIR for the Third time and...
>
> I had very, very bad luck with them. They managed to damage one of my
> Newtons after three attempts. THey didn't solder all the wires in
> properly, among other things. I am planning to sue them in small claims
> court very soon.
>snip.....

I have not had near the problems that you had. I originally had an OMP (when
they were new on the market) and used it for well over a year and then
managed to spill coffee all over it, and killed it. I took it into the
dealer here in town and they sent it away and a week later I had a brand new
one. Back about 3 years ago I bought a 2100 from the Newton Store in Toronto
and had no problems until about a year ago. One evening I synced everything
and did a bit of updating etc. Turned it off and the next morning it would
not turn on. I did everything that has been recomended and still nothing. I
talked to Apple Canada and at first could not get anyone that knew anything
about the newton. After a couple more calls (after being told that they
would get back to me) I finally got someone that seemed to know what they
talked about. They sent a box and told me if it did not get here in 3 days
to phone back. I was out of town on business and when I did get back found
no box. I phoned them and they sent another box that did show up and I sent
it back to them. In a week I got a brand new 2100 back and it has been
working good ever since.

I don't know if I could go to another pda. I tried a Psion and they showed a
lot of potential but now that they are dead.... I bought a Palm Pilot and
hated it from the very start so gave it to my brother to use. I did in the
meantime buy a newton 110 and a 120 that are still in daily use by my wife
and son. I bought a Jornada 548 about a year ago and am still really
undecided about it. I like the colour screen and the size makes it easier to
lug around and there are apps that I could really use that are not available
on the newton. The main one being PocketCad which lets me take autocad file
out into the field and mark them up. It works pretty good but again a larger
screen would really help.

Anyone up for programing a program for the newton that would open Autocad
dxf files and or dwf files?

In the end I still use my 2100 for most things.

So I am not sure about their offer.... I like Newton's and Apple made a
mistake to kill it off (or rather Jobs).

No I have never taken any company to court so can't help there...

God luck