Re: [NTLK] (Off-Subject) NetBSD1.5 or Debian2.2??

From: Presence (presence_at_irev.net)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 09:35:29 PDT

  Actually, me and a buddy pulled together an old Mac SE/30 and put
OpenBSD on it. http://mac.dualcpus.com/ is our little splash page about
our feat. We jammed 128 megs of RAM in there and had to fool with the Mac
Bootloader to allow for it, and the 1.2 gig 50-pin SCSI drive was more
than enough space to pull down Open2.8 onto it.

  The problem with the Mac, however, is that its HORRIBLY slow. Once
*can* ssh into it (which, belive me, is quite a trip), BUT the login
process takes over 2 minutes. Trying to install OpenBSD binary packages
such as 'screen' and 'BitchX' took upwards of 20 minutes.

  We've tried compiling a kernel on it, just for kicks, but after about 12
hours of make depend and another 8 of make, the compiler dies because of a
coding error somewhere in the kernel code... and this is for a GENERIC
kernel, even. :^/

  Its a fun box to play with from the local console, but once again, its
SLOW. I mean, not like 386-ah-isn't-that-cute slow, but like
why-did-we-bother slow.

  - Presence
    http://presence.irev.net/