Re: [NTLK] 120 NOS 2.0 Infrared Vaporware?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 11:36:08 EST

on 10/31/01 8:09 PM, James Elliott at rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> I forgot about that. Is there any chance of a system patch that would
> allow a 2.0 Newt to use IrDA? I would love that.

I highly doubt it. The OS uses the ASK protocol, and the programming
interfaces are most likely designed around ASK, and any infrared function
the system has to offer uses the ASK protocol at a very low level layer. It
would be theorically possible to write an IrDA protocol, assuming that the
IrDA protocol doesn't require specific hardware, or that the hardware used
for the ASK protocol would be sufficient for the IrDA protocol. But then,
that would be a lot of work...

-Laurent.

finger-pointing syndrome n.: All-too-frequent result of bugs, esp. in new or
experimental configurations. The hardware vendor points a finger at the
software. The software vendor points a finger at the hardware. All the poor
users get is the finger.