Re: [NTLK] (Lord of the Rings) in Newton Book format

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 17:24:17 EST

OK, I've updated my download page and included a like
to Tolkien enterprises which still owns the copyright
and trademark for LOTR and FOTR.
Fair use says that you are allowed to make a copy of
the book for your own personal use. This means that if
you own a copy of the book in paper, purchased form,
and you decide to create a copy for your Newton, then
you have the right. BUT that means that you cannot
loan out your paper, purchased copy while you read
your newton copy. That's why I have the webpage set up
the way I do. I recognize that the works I converted
may be copyrighted, but my making it available is no
different than you creating a copy yourself.
I realize that people outside the Newton community can
come to my page and download the file..and that's
OK...they can't do anything with it...the only people
who can actually use these books are Newton users. I
might be a bit naive in saying this, but we are all in
this for the common good. My page asks only for
honesty.
but just incase, I do have everyone's assumed name, IP
date and time.
Ed
web/gadget guru