Re: [NTLK] (Lord of the Rings) in Newton Book format

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 14:03:18 EST

on 11/2/01 7:16 PM, Ed Kummel at tech_ed_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> YUCK! You have to be pretty desperate to have to
> convert that into something readable...All characters
> are spaced with periods! I think that if someone wants
> to go through all that just to get the LOTR in text
> format, then so be it...
> It would take a special type of person to spend their
> time doing that.

The time I did it (for a Sherlock Holmes story I had never seen before in
print, and was formatted for MP2k) on my Mac, I had a bunch of garbage at
the beginning and at the end. The characters between every other character
showed up as little boxes, and surprisingly, one search/replace removed all
of them. After that, I had to do a quick flip-through to find some more
binary code scattered throughout the file, and a save as text file, so that
I could run it through Book Maker (or Paperback--I don't remember which
now). The whole process couldn't have taken more than a few minutes from
opening the file to saving it. It must look better and be easier to clean on
a Mac. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland