Re: [NTLK] Star Trek Device / Camera

From: Marco Mailand (newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 05:21:43 EST

Sushi wrote:
> I laugh to hide the pain...as they say, humor is a good way to overcome
> adversity.
Ooh, you're a step further then I am.

> Just look at the iPod. Who knew about it 6, 3 or even 1 month before it
> was released?
Normally the Apple-sources or the EvangeList will spread rumours which are
quite accurate, but with the iPod Apple was really quiet. Maybe the
development team was very small, considering the amount of work:
1. get LCD, PCB and case manufacturers
2. get a cheap and small FW harddisc a well established manufacturer
3. write software (probably done by Apple in house from the iTunes dept ;-)
4. buy other standard components on the market since all chips involved are
produced since some years and in various brands
5. put everything together

> ...I like surprises! :-)
There is not much suitable hardware around which could be used for a new
Newton:
1. memory card evolve very quickly and there is various but no clear trend
to a certain type and/or technology
2. NewtonScript did not establish as preffered PDA-OS, other "established"
products would impact on Apple sales (e.g. the use of PocketWindoze would
point people to get Windoze-based desktop machines)
3. there is also no obviously preferred CPU for the next handheld

Last and least it would probably take to much time and expenses to revive
NewtonScript and NOS development since the old developers are gone.
We should probably the next Apple surprise in the field of the digital hub
surroundings and with something they haven't done yet. Have a look on SONY
products and their non-audio products. Apple could take over SONY devices
and tailor a new case around them beside very good desktop connectivity. The
surprises would then be things like VCR with excellent cutting features or
digital cameras based on the iPod/iBook design and maybe a MD
recorder/player with data and MP3 capabilities, thus with a real USB or FW
connection.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing