[NTLK] Java 'n stuff

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 20:00:38 EST

>But wouldn't a Java OS PDA be as slow as molasses in January on
>anything but the fastest processors?

Not necessarily. Java isn't slow by nature. Its problem is that it
makes writing slow programs very easy. Its other problem is that there
is but sparse information on how to to things better.

>Also, I have yet to see anything written in Java
>that was actually useful,

Ermmm... considering that I've been spending the last two years almost
entirely writing java software for a living, all of which is currently
being used in products that are sold, you might want to elaborate a bit
on that...

>this. It seems that Java is the buzzword-compliant platform with little to
>show for all its "promise." :-) Somebody show me something!

Have you ever written the front end (user interface) for a large commercial
software product that is supposed to run on PC's, Mac's and UNIX
workstations?
Complete with the company's own software look and feel etc.?
With just one code source for all three platforms? Probably not. Java is
currently the only way available to do this.

Frank

Newton software and hardware stuff at www.pda-soft.de