Re: [NTLK] Dongle Port Broken

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 22:35:25 EST

on 05/11/01 17:30, Zander Goss at zandergoss_at_marmothall.net wrote:

> My keyboard refused to work several weeks ago and I thought the reason
> was a broken dongle. The regular-serial side looked really beat up. I
> found a brand new one for $30 with shipping (thank you for the offer
> ajw4), but then while contemplating whether or not to buy it, I found
> that the dongle port was loose in it's seat. Simply, when I inserted
> the adaptor, the port just got even more recessed in my little green
> friend. BTW, I am using an UMP2000. Anyways, I have looked over Dr.
> Newton's site and e-mailed him about trying to get it fixed, but I
> haven't gotten a response. Has anyone else had this problem? Can Dr.
> Newton fix it? Should I get a SER-001 upgrade while I am at it? And
> finally, will an Apple ImageWriter II printer work with Newton?

Yes, I've read many times that the interconnect port was fragile and tended
to break easily. You're definitely not the first one to have this problem,
unfortunately. Your best bet is to wait for David Watson to reply. You also
have the Apple's fix, while a bit expensive at a flat $180 fee...

You could get the SER-001 installed if you have it, although it's really
easy to install.

I don't know finally if the ImageWriter would work with a Newton. I don't
recall having read or heard anybody using it.

-Laurent.

bug-compatible adj.: [common] Said of a design or revision that has been badly compromised by a requirement to be compatible with fossils or misfeatures in other programs or (esp.) previous releases of itself. "MS-DOS 2.0 used \ as apath separator to be bug-compatible with some cretin's choice of / as an option character in 1.0."